Dating services: Subscribing to the Service
Looking for love on the internet can be a journey fraught with difficulties, and this can begin when you subscribe to a service offered by a specialized website. Here’s all that you need to know before you commit…to the site.
Update : Nov 2018
Free registration, yes but…
Dating sites often promise free registration but be wary of the terms they use! Generally, creating the profile is free, but accessing the messaging services or seeing all of the other profiles may require a paid subscription.
Paid subscription check points:
Do not be fooled by appearances. If a dating site has a “.de” URL or German advertisements, do not automatically assume that the site is based in Germany. Before you subscribe to a site whose headquarters are in another European Union country, verify the following:
- Identity and address of the company offering the dating site: You can usually find this information in the general sales conditions or disclaimer.
- Price of the subscription: Verify with caution the cost as well as the payment conditions. Pay careful attention to the total amount levied.
- Beware of promotional offers: They are only valid for a short time; if they are not terminated on time and under the right conditions, it can lead to a classic subscription (several months with only one month discounted).
- Commitment period: be aware of the initial duration of the commitment.
Pay attention to the price! Some sites present their rates per month to allow price comparisons. The longer the commitment period, the lower the price will be per month. However, the entire subscription will be collected at once and not monthly. Check the final price before payment because this is usually what will be immediately charged to you.
Subscriptions to these types of sites are often renewed automatically and without your prior consent. This is called a tacit renewal.
Beware of so-called “testing periods” that are usually short-lived. They generally have an automatic contract renewal but for longer periods, so therefore, more expensive. Be very vigilant and quickly terminate if the service does not interest you.
- Read in detail the general conditions of the site and the points of information appearing throughout the subscription procedure. As soon as you validate the subscription, the general conditions and information notes apply, even if you did not read them!
- By validating the online subscription, you accept the entire contract. Keep the confirmation email for the subscription because it contains proof of the contract.
Your subscription on the internet is worth the same as a paper contract with your handwritten signature. Keep a copy of the general conditions of the contract.
And to Cancel?
When you subscribe, check the terms of renewal or termination of the subscription. The terms and conditions vary from one site to another.
Find more information in our article on the Cancellation of the Subscription.