Vehicle registration in Germany

If you move to Germany, you are not allowed to keep your license plate. You have to register your car as soon as possible.

Update: Nov 2018

This must be done at your local vehicle Registration Office (Kfz-Zulassungsstelle).

Documents to bring to the Registration Office:

  • Valid identity card or passport
  • Proof of residency - which will be given to you when you register at the municipal services (mandatory step- see below).
  • Original EU certificate of conformity
  • Original vehicle registration documents
  • Certificate of transfer of ownership, or original bill
  • Current vehicle insurance documentation

Additional documents to bring along in case of:

1. A new car (less than 6 months old or which has not travelled more than 6.000 km)

A value-added tax (VAT) return statement that the Registration Office forwards to the competent finance authority (“Finanzamt”) to determine the VAT

2. A used vehicle

A certificate of conformity issued by the technical inspection service TÜV (Technischer Überwachungsverein) and a certificate of exhaust emissions (AU-Bescheinigung) test for all vehicles.

These two tests are normally performed at the same place.

The EU certificate of conformity

If you are not in possession of the EU certificate of conformity, you can ask your manufacturer for this document.

If there is no EU certificate of conformity existing, you will have to show the registration office a certificate for individual approval (Vollgutachten des TÜV). This document will also be equivalent to an acceptance certificate from a technical inspection center and an exhaust emissions test.


  • Close the article