Health Insurance for International Students

Before beginning your study term at a German university, you need to have health insurance.

Update: Dec 2015

The following information applies to foreign students who wish to enroll at a German university, be it for one or several semesters, and who are under the age of 30.

Citizens of an EU Member State

If you are a citizen of an EU or an EEA Member State, you may stay insured with your national health insurance. However, you must have a German health insurance approve your national insurance protection. You can receive the necessary documents at your national health insurance.

When enrolling at your German university, you present these documents along with your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Please consider that your health insurance may not cover all treatment costs in Germany; therefore, read up on a supplementary insurance in your home country.

In case it is not possible for you to stay insured with your national health insurance, it is imperative that you are insured in Germany. You may choose among a private or statutory health insurance. The international offices (“akademische Auslandsämter”) at German universities can provide consultation on this matter.

If you want to insure yourself privately in Germany, you first need a written declaration by a German statutory health insurance, stating that you are exempt from the obligatory statutory health insurance for students. If you are privately insured in your home country, this insurance might be accepted in Germany. Make sure to clarify this in advance with your insurance. However, in this case you also need to be declared exempt from the obligation of a statutory insurance.

Citizens of a country outside the EU

Students who are not citizens of an EU/EEA Member State must also have health insurance during their stay in Germany.

As the foreign health insurance of non EU/EEA citizens is not accepted by the Foreigners’ Registration Office (“Ausländeramt”) in Germany, it is necessary to complete a German insurance.

If you are under the age of 30, you can pay student tariffs for your insurance. You are then equal to German students and have access to all legally foreseen medical care. You will receive a health insurance card with an integrated chip from your insurance and can then visit a doctor, who will settle the bill directly with the German insurance. You only need to pay those supplementary costs that are legally foreseen for the statutory insured in Germany.

Alternatively, you may choose a private insurance.

Important: For foreign students who are older than 30, there is no obligatory statutory health insurance, meaning that paying student tariffs is no longer possible. In this case, the students must take care of their own statutory health insurance or choose a private health insurance, either in their home country or in Germany.

Student tariff with statutory health insurance in Germany

  • 80,41€/month for students with children.
  • 81,90€ /month for a person over the age of 23 that does not have children.
  • For anyone over the age of 30 there is no possibility of paying student tariffs.

(Example: Health insurance company "Barmer GEK" as of the 1st of January 2015)

  • Close the article