Border controls and customs

Despite the Schengen Agreement and the decrease of frequent border controls inside the EU, you should consider some aspects.

Update : Nov 2018

Import and export of goods

There is normally no problem when taking goods with you across the border, as long as the goods are for “personal use”. There are, however, indicative quantities that apply to the import of legal drugs such as cigarettes or alcoholic beverages into another EU member state. Following allowances have been determined:

Tobacco products Allowances within the EU
Cigarettes 800 units
Cigarillos 400 units
Cigars 200 units
Smoking Tobacco 1 kilogram


Alcoholic beverages Allowances within the EU
Spirits (e.g. brandy, whisky, rum, vodka) 10 liters
Sweetened beverages with alcohol (alcopops) 10 liters
Fortified wines (e.g. sherry, port, marsala) 20 liters
Sparkling wine 60 liters
Beer 110 liters


Other goods subject to excise duty Allowances within the EU
Coffee or products containing coffee 10 kilograms


You may acquire energy products such as petrol or diesel motor fuel in another EU member state for your own use. However, they may only be transported in your vehicle’s fuel tank or in reserve tanks in your vehicle. No objection will be raised at up to 20 liters of motor fuel in reserve tanks.

You want to buy more?

If the indicative quantity is exceeded, it will be presumed that the goods are intended for commercial purposes. This in turn requires the payment of customs duties. The member states of the EU reserve the right to levy excise duties on tobacco products and alcoholic beverages if the carried products are not intended for personal use.

However, the transport of large quantities complies with the law if proof of personal use can be furnished. Events that may justify the acquisition of large quantities are e.g. weddings.


You can only transport domestic animals under certain conditions. The pet has to be identifiable through tattoo or microchip and must be vaccinated against rabies. Furthermore, an EU pet passport for each animal has to be provided.

  • Close the article